Friday, June 22, 2007

Summer

I really had high hopes for this summer...I remember when I was a kid and my mom would be so organized with chores and "homework" for each of us before we were allowed to play. I'm sure I complained about it more than once but I also remember enjoying the feeling of schedule and accomplishment.
The first 2 weeks of summer vacay the boys had swimming lessons every morning so that was part of our routine. Now, we have no commitments. So, I made some chore charts with the boys and got out their workbooks and this week we started our new "routine". Is it really a routine if it only lasts one day? I think not. But, we will try again. Today, as I visited with my friend Emily, we realized we still have at least 8 weeks of summer...plenty of time to establish a routine. I know the boys would really enjoy having some sort of routine if their mom could just get it in gear!
We have been able to do some fun things so far this summer. Last week my sis-in-law Rachel and I loaded our 4 kids up and went to the Ogden Dinosaur Park. The park has an inside museum and an outside park with huge statues of different dinosaurs. We all enjoyed it but probably would have spent more time there if it hadn't been 100+ degrees! Rachel's 4 year old Chase is a dinosaur expert and told me the names of several dinos I had never heard of. My boys never went through a dinosaur phase (trains and trucks in this family)so I learned a lot from Chase. Rachel has a picture of our boys on her blog but I haven't figured out how to copy pictures yet so please visit her blog to see a photo!
We have also taken advantage of my sister Amy's "hotel" pool. She lives in a condo about a mile away from us and has an outdoor pool. We love being able to go over on a hot afternoon to cool off (although my legs got extremely burnt the other day)and plan to take advantage of the pool several more times through the hot summer.
I have plans to visit some of the city's landmarks and historic sites but will have to wait for a cooler weather forecast. The heat plus carrying a baby equals a lot of exhaustion for me so I'll have to wait for cooler days.
Well, I think I've rambled enough. Not a very exciting post but a post nonetheless. I better sign off before Noah finds the matches again and sets the backyard on fire!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is nice to know that all those summer activities that were designed to keep ME sane - made an impression and is being carried on by my 'Mommy daughters'